Oct 24, 2012

Catching up- August Journal


August 7, 2012
Our first weekend in August started the month off well. On Friday, the kids and I built a fort in McKayla’s room (which she actually slept in that night), played outside and stomped around in our homemade monster feet. On Saturday, we rearranged Kayla’s room and then went shopping with my mom. We then went up to The Canyons with Todd and our friend Michelle to watch an outdoor concert while picnicking. We took a walk to finish the night and then Todd did some fireworks for the kids. Sunday, we went to the Wheeler Farm Farmer’s Market where the kids got to play on a new playground, get balloon animals, play with ponies/ducks/goats/alpacas/sheep/ect., and go for a tractor ride. That night Todd and the kids went out for dinner and to the park while I hosted BUNCO at my house. I took Monday off and we went up to Pine view Reservoir where we met Todd’s sister and kids. The kids had a blast playing in the water and the weather was great. The kids have just been blowing our minds recently with how much they have grown up. McKayla went to the doctor yesterday and she was 34 pounds. She is such a great big sister to Bodie…even when they have their moments they end quickly. We have decided she is definitely ready for reading (probably has been for awhile) so we are going to start really working with her on that. She very much enjoys learning and she soaks things up easily. Bodie is talking a ton…repeating everything we say…and is copying everything McKayla does. He wants to be very independent, but he’ll still cuddle with us too. He has continued to show more interest in potty training and loves to sit on the toilet. We’re not going to try full potty training yet, but we figure we’ll do the small steps to build up to it. They both still really enjoy daycare and are very social kids. 





We made monster feet :-)










Todd was pretty impressed w/ the fort I built





August 17, 2012
Last weekend Todd went out of town on a weekend bike trip with some friends in Mesquite. We definitely missed him, but I’m glad he got to get away and relax a bit. I waited up for him on Friday night so that we could have some alone time before he took off. I’ve been LOVING our late summer night talks. The kids and I were supposed to go my niece’s bday party, but unfortunately they got pink eye. We did do a little shopping for McKayla’s bday party and we went up to the Park City outlets with my parents on Sunday (where my sweet spoiled children got a milkshake and new outfits from Paka and Gigi). I took the day off work Monday and we went to the splashpad and park so the kids could run out some energy. The kids were really good for me all weekend and it was nice to spend some slow time with them. One thing I have to mention…I absolutely love the way Bodie wraps his arms around me when I pick him up and then lightly taps me on the shoulder/back…it is the sweetest thing. When Todd got back he made a fun water bottle spray thing in the backyard for the kids to play with and we took a family walk where we were stopped by neighbors who are now new friends (we ended up staying in their backyard for an hour while the kids played and we got to know each other). McKayla has had a hard time going to bed the past couple of weeks (fighting us the worst she ever has) and it’s been tough, but once we took the “taking away priviliges” approach it has seemed to help. She’s a sweet girl who wants to please us and we feel so bad getting mad at her. The doctor said it’s just a stage so hopefully she’ll be back to her norm soon J. She’s fine during the day and she’s such a big helper with Bodie. She also got the first ever “Spotlight of the Month” award for her class so we got to make a poster board all about her that she took to school and is now hanging on the wall there for a month. It was really fun asking her what her favorite things are and letting her design her board (which of course is pink with glitter). Bodie has really continued to show interest in potty training so we bought him a “cars” potty seat which he adores. He LOVES being a big boy! We aren’t doing the full potty training at this point, but we won’t discourage him if he wants to start heading that way J

A little Pinterest project





August 20, 2012
Over the weekend we enjoyed a pool party at the Blomquists house and dinner with friends at our house. It was nice to relax, enjoy the cooler evenings and catch up with friends. Todd even took the kids for a couple hours on Sunday and let me get a nap…love that guy! Bodie is still pushing the potty thing…he’s getting pretty good at it too…looks like it really might be close to time. He also scared the heck out of us on Sunday night when he fell off a climbing/slide thing we have in the backyard. He flipped over the top and landed on his back (we were actually very thankful he landed on his back rather than on his head). He was stunned and I think he had the wind knocked out of him, but other than that he was ok…and he of course, got right back on the thing the next day with no fear or hesitation. McKayla is super excited for her b-day party this coming Saturday and I can just hear Bodie now when they see the surprise ponies “Yeehaw, Yeehaw!!” (that is what he calls horses) J. She will be going into Pre-school soon too…and this brings a big tear to mom’s eye. I can’t believe our little girl is going to be in pre-school this year and I know she is going to LOVE it. She absolutely loves to learn and she’s been so excited about learning how to read.








August 27, 2012
We had McKayla’s 4th Birthday party on Saturday. She decided that she wanted a cowgirl party this year and it of course had to have pink. She and her friends had a great time and we did it in the late morning so the weather was perfect. We had small snacks (popcorn, fruit, pb&j sandwiches, chips, pink lemonade) for everyone to munch on, but the big surprise was that Todd and I rented ponies for her. We brought everyone out front and I told McKayla that Daddy and Mommy had a surprise for her. The trailer was right there, but she didn’t guess what it was. As they unloaded the ponies she finally understood and was SO excited. She and her friends had an hour to ride the ponies up and down our sidewalk (McKayla got a couple extra long rides further too) and they had a great time. When Bodie saw them he pointed and excitedly said “Yeehaw, Yeehaw”. McKayla and Bodie got the chance to feed the horses some carrots at the end (McKayla fed them and Bodie decided to eat the carrots himself J). After the pony rides we went inside for cake and presents. She got a great variety of gifts this year and she loved all of them (I have to say I was really proud of the way she thanked everyone when she opened each gift). I must admit that there were multiple times during the party that I got teary eyed…I really cant believe my Kayla Bear is almost 4!! She’s such a sweet, smart girl with a very kind heart and Todd and I couldn’t be more proud of her. We love her more than she’ll ever know!!! Speaking of big girl….she told Todd she wanted to take her training wheels off her bike so he did that for her this weekend too and so far she’s doing great. We plan on taking her out this week to a parking lot so we can really let her just go and get the hang of it J.
Saturday night we actually went to another party to celebrate my mom, dad and Scott’s (Non’s father in law) birthdays. It was nice and low key at Scott and Sylvia’s house and we enjoyed the yummy food. On Sunday, Todd came to church with us and then took us to breakfast at Market Street. We went up the canyon after that…drove all the way up to Alta while the kids slept and then met some friends at Oktoberfest at Snowbird (we enjoyed a good, cold drink while the kids enjoyed snowcones and the bouncy house/slide). After Todd took Sadie up Millcreek canyon for a hike with Phil, we ended up at our neighbors house that night just hanging out in the backyard (these are the new ones we met a couple weeks ago) and enjoying the cooler weather at night. I’m exhausted after this weekend, but it was so much fun and it was great to see so many friends and family!