Mar 21, 2014

McKayla's Kindergarten Registration

We registered McKayla for Kindergarten today and it was a mix of emotions. We went as a whole family (funny? oh well :-) ). McKayla was excited and nervous, Todd and Bodie excited and I was excited and sad. The staff were incredbily sweet and McKayla got to look through the school a bit with Todd while I took care of her paperwork. We go back for a registration day in May and I think we are all looking forward to meeting the other kids and teachers. We had a little difficult time at first deciding where we wanted her to go (we were lucky enough to get in multiple places), but all of a sudden it just clicked and we knew this was the right school for her.
I am so excited for McKayla to start this new adventure in life and I know she is going to love it. I do have the mommy in me though...there is that tinge of sadness that she really is growing up and she will be beginning the "rest of her life" this fall. All of the new stages are exciting and some have been tough (1st day of daycare, pre-school, ect.), but I haven't had the feelings with any of those that I do now. After this summer, I will no longer be able to take her to and from school whenever I please. She will have her own little life outside of our home (yes, I know she does now, but somehow this feels different) and she will be learning even more skills that will take her on her journey through life. Her life will have more "structure" and she will have more responsibility. This makes me wants to really make the most of the next few months and be carefree with the family. I want to soak up this spring/summer with them and just enjoy each other. It also makes me want to make sure she always has that carefree part of life in her...I of course want her to do well academically and learn how to be a good person in society, but I also want her to know life is about the journey and that she should enjoy that journey.
I'm truly looking forward to everything the next year has in store for her (just give me a box of tissues please) and I can't wait to be by her side along the way to watch her learn and grow. One of the greatest pleasures in life is watching your children experience new things and grow as a person.