Aug 3, 2009

1st Family Camping Trip

We took our first camping trip with McKayla this past weekend. We went up to Strawberry Resevior with our good friends Phil & Jess. It took us forever to find a spot, but the spot we found was AWESOME! Todd cooked us up some burgers while Phil cooked some questionable rice and beans (those are his words not mine). The guys got the fire started while Jess and I played with Kayla and the dogs (Sadie & Bosen) ran around in absolute enjoyment.
Kayla loved being outside and exploring the new area. She and I slept in the Tahoe (I have to admit I loved sleeping next to her cause we don't do this at home. I just listened to her sweet, soft breathing all night) and Todd and Sadie froze in the tent (sorry hon). The next day Todd and Phil went sailing on Phil's boat while Jess and I took the dogs and Kayla down by the water to play.
It was a lot of fun and all in all I think McKayla really enjoyed her first camping trip...EXCEPT...when I decided we had to take a picture of her on these little carved log seats the guys found. All was great and she posed for her picture, but I of course decided we needed one more. I had Todd standing by ready to catch her if she fell, but it happened so quick that neither one of us caught her. Down my sweet baby went, face first into the dirt. We scooped her up and her face and mouth were covered with dirt...we felt SOOOOO bad! I felt like the worst mom in the world! She cried for a minute and while we cleaned her up, but she really was a tough little cookie and was happy only a couple minutes later (although she did hold onto us a little tighter). I'm also lucky that she escaped with no bruises, scrapes or cuts. Note to self...think before setting baby up for picture op!
Just before her first fall ever (11 months isn't too bad, right?)
Waking Daddy up (he had moved into the car to warm up)
We put her on the blankets and she moved right over to play in the dirt