Dec 20, 2011

Humbled

I am the coordinator for all of our office community service events at my work. This year I had the joy of taking recordable books to the Utah School for the Deaf and Blind. The school consists of students from Pre-school to High School.
It was a humbling experience to deliver the books and meet the students. The Utah School for the Deaf and Blind is the only school here that uses only ASL (American Sign Language) in their classrooms for their deaf children (no speaking) and it was beautiful to watch the elegant dance their hands did as they “spoke” to each other in peaceful silence. They allowed me to wander the halls for a minute while they got my paperwork done and as I did I was privileged to watch a little girl McKayla's age as she navigated the halls with her walking stick. She was no more than 3, but she had a strength and maturity about her that came from the obstacles she has already had to face. Most of these children were born deaf or blind so they have known nothing else, and they live “normal” lives and have just as much pure innocence, child like excitement, curiosity and fun as any child does who does not have a disability. If anything, they appreciate what they do have even more.
I feel very blessed to have wandered those halls and I have so much respect for the adults who have made such a safe and wonderful place for the children.